Monday, October 6, 2008

Primeras las guapas

I have become slightly more accustomed to Spanish catcalls. Now that I’m living in Arcos, however, I often think to myself “I might be your son’s/niece’s/friend’s schoolteacher” when someone makes a comment in the street. Not that the comments are particularly rude. Usually they consist solely of the word “guapa” (pretty girl) or slight variations (I heard “guapaguapaguapaguapaguapa” the other day).

In school today, I noted that the boys might be conditioned from a very early age. As it was my first day, I came into classes and introduced myself, and then the children asked me questions that they’d been practicing.

In a fifth grade class:
“What’s your name?”
“My name is Jenna.”
“What’s your favorite color?”
“My favorite color is green.”
And then, from a little boy in the back:
“What’s your telephone number?”
“Uh….”

I said it anyway to them practice with hearing how numbers are pronounced. At least a few wrote it down.

In a sixth grade class, I entered the room, told them my name was Jenna, and a little boy shouted out “Jenna, princesa!” There were many questions of the “What’s your favorite….” variety. Nothing too scandalous. One boy did ask me if I was married, though. At the end of the class, he came over to me, shook my hand, and said, “Pleased to meet you” while batting his eyes. 22 is a little old for a 12-year-old, buddy.

All in all, though, it was a great first day. I loved the students and my coworkers are extremely friendly. I was feeling totally happy as I walked home from the school, hardly noticing anyone else passing in the street. As I was walking up a tiny sidewalk, a man on a motorcycle was coming down and had to stop to let me by. I smiled at him in thanks and he replied, “Primeras las guapas.” The English equivalent might be “Ladies first,” though usually that isn’t used in a salacious tone. I suppose “Beauties first” is a more accurate translation. But hey, if it means I get right-of-way on the sidewalk, or a few more boys will pay attention in class, I guess I’m okay with that.

No comments:

 
Real Time Web Analytics