Thursday, October 9, 2008

Spain Day

The Spanish love their holidays.

Today as I walked home from school, I heard music coming from the Plaza del Cabildo, one of the best look-out spots in town. I wandered up that way to find women dancing flamenco, free wine and tapas in tented booths, and antique cars around the perimeter. While sampling the free wine and storing away free fruit for later, I found out that today is "Tourism Day" in Arcos. I might have seen a few tourists, but the majority of the people in the plaza seemed to be Arcenses (the demonym for people of Arcos), all chattering, butting each other out of the way for the food, dancing in the center whether or not they were in full flamenco regalia.

Now I have a four-day weekend, already having every Friday off from school. On Monday, Spain celebrates Spain Day and therefore none of the schools or businesses will be open (as far as I can tell). I can´t wait to see what Arcos comes up with for THAT celebration.

No comments:

 
Real Time Web Analytics