Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The flamenco affair

I've been attending a flamenco class since October in "bulerias," a class that's more of a gossip session for elderly women in town than one dedicated to learning flamenco. We've been doing the same 30-second routine since, well, October. Thus, when Patra and I saw a notice for a new flamenco class in town, we jumped at the chance to learn some new steps. This class focuses on "tangos" (which has nothing to do with the Argentinian partner dance). And, since the tangos class is Monday/Wednesday and my bulerias class is Tuesdays/Thursday, I thought it wouldn't hurt anyone to do both at once.

In my bulerias class this evening, I had my shoes on already and decided to practice a step from the tangos class during a break (the bulerias class is ostensibly 6-8, though we start around 6:15 at the earliest, take at least one 10-minute smoke break, and rarely get out later than 7:45). My teacher saw me do a small turn and called out "Shenna! Where'd you learn that?" Caught! Cheating! So I sort of shrugged my shoulders and feigned innocence. "Oh," she rationalized, "your friend [Patra] must have taught it to you. No?" To which I said, "ummm...si!" I didn't want her to know I'd been seeing someone else...

No comments:

 
Real Time Web Analytics